Sunday, February 10, 2008

Pasifism...

The past few months I've been thinking a lot about being a pasifist. I am part of a pasifist chruch, Quaker, and ever sinse I started going there I've thought of myself as a pasifist, but now I'm starting to think about what that actually means.
People often say "Oh you're a pasifist, well would you have killed Hitler, if you had the chance?" or "What if someone comes to your house with a gun and is going to kill your family, will you just stand back and let them?" I don't know what it is about other people trying to prove that pasifism isn't real, but I guess that's just what we have to deal with. Both of these questions are hard to answere, but not impossible. If I ever find myself in either of those situations then I would hope that I would react in a way that would be the most peaceful, but I can't honestly tell you what I would do because I've never been in a situation like that. I think there are other ways to stop someone from killing your family than killing them emediatly.

I think it is also hard to look at the world we live in and honestly believe that I can live peacefully and that the world will come to peace, but I do believe that, I truly do. I think that it's really hard for people to look at a pasifist and look at them realisticly, because there isn't much hope for peace now days, but I assure you that I am a realist AND I am a pasifist...It can be done.

I think the reason that I'm so passionate about trying to live a peaceful life is because there is so much war and violance in this world and I don't see ANY good that comes from it. Yes countries gain land, and people gain freedome, but at the same time hundreds, thousands, and millions of people die, and I don't think that it's worth it. If we just figured out a way to peacefully agree, I feel things would go better. And maybe the agreement wouldn't work, but AT LEAST make the steps toward being peaceful, and saving thousands, if not millions of lives...

I don't see any good in killing ANYONE...I really don't. I don't care if they have killed thousands of people, killing them is only hypocracy.

I will say that just because I have chosen pasifism for ME it doesn't mean that I'm saying that EVERYONE needs to be a pasifist, this is MY choice for MY life, not yours.

So Peace friends and God bless

1 Comments:

Blogger drew milller said...

Hello Lisby,

Coming from a quaker background, I have also had trouble with ideas of Pacifism. I have had those exact questions-- What if there is someone charging at your child with a baseball bat? From what I know, no one in their right mind would just let the guy with the baseball bat have at it. But whether this situation is real or not, War is real. It is not hypothetical. It is not entertainment. It is real, hard and probably the closest thing to hell we can fathom. Coming from a culture where war is turned into video games, I think it is something that is taken way to lightly.

But I also think this can change, and I think it starts with a broader recognition of war by followers of Christ. But how? How are we suppose to stop a trillion dollar war. It all starts with the church and sending in peacemakers. And the truth is I dont really know that much about peacemaking oppurtunities and war, but I also believe that it starts with a greater effort from the church and lesser effort from the government.

Anywho, i could say a lot more but i am tired of typing. So this is what is Say: Peace should be pursued with everything we have and if its not Gods will then maybe war is something to consider with deep seriousness.

10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home