Saturday, December 16, 2006

Baby It's Cold Outside

Christmas comes but onece a year, and it is well worth the wait every year. My favorite weather is Oregon in Christmas time, with the clear crisp breath that you get everytime you breath in. When you wake up to white frost all over the ground, it looks like someone painted a picture during the night. There is special music, traditional movies, and everyone has a smile on their face.
I love waking up with my nose freezing cold, jumping out of bed, and running to the living room to get in front of the fire and get warm. Christmas is when you get to wear red santa hats and warm scarves, drink apple cider and hot chocolet, make cookies, and it's the only time that your house smells like the tree that stands in the corner. Everything is always lit up, including the faces of those that we love.
Christmas always brings back memories of childhood, with my family. When my big brother and I were close we use to get all of our Christmas ornaments out and play with them. We had a big box that we kept our ornaments in, that was santa's shop, there was an owl, he was the school teacher. There were elves, lots of elves; small and fat, long and lean, short and fast, tall and slow, girls that were mean, and boys that were lazy, you name it, we had it. We would play with them for hours at a time, drinking hot chocolet and listening to our favorite Christmas albums.
These are all of the reasons that I just love Christmas. But I was thinking about it more and more, and I realized that I don't like it for the TRUE reasons as much as I want to. When I think Christmas I don't think about Jesus, I think about all the wonderful things that are materialistic and limited. I want it to be more about Jesus, and I'm not talking about mary in a blue scarve on a donky, a stare, wise men, etc. I'm talking about Jesus, God, my savior. I'm talking about my relationship, and my life, and how it should always be focused on him, and they aren't as much as I need.
These are things that get me fired up about life, and motivate me to find a way to make Christmas truly about God, and make it so that is the first thing I think about. Not because that's what they told me in sunday school, or what I saw on a billboard, but because that is what I want, what I and need, what I will figure out.
Christmas comes but once a year, and I'm glad that God comes but all year round.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jamaican.me.anna said...

Christmas is so exciting. I love Christmas!!

11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home